This technique include standard 5 Why analysis developed for three different streams or “Legs“:
Specific “Leg #1“ – Why specific problem happen?
- employee didnt follow standard process,
- employee is not trained,
- wrong tool or material used, etc.
Detection “Leg #2“ – Why did we not detect the specific problem before occur?
- no inspections,
- missing quality controls/checks,
- not effective error proofing,
- measurement system issues, etc.
Systemic “Leg #3“ – Why system failed and allowed that specific problem occur?
- no defined process,
- obsolete procedure,
- definition of process is not so robust,
- lack of standardization, etc.
Nenad Marcetic is CIO at Lean Community. He has over 15 years of experience in Lean Management. He is a graduate of Quality Management. He has conducted more than 250 management system audits in various companies and industries (manufacturing, food and beverage, agriculture, IT services, finance, retail, mining). Since 2015 in a global automotive company, where he is responsible for process standardization and the implementation of the IATF standard.